I’m pleased to make the world premier of the new Gossamer Gear Tamarisk pack here on Bedrock & Paradox.

IMG_2145

I’d like to thank Gossamer Gear for allowing me to do so, and for integrating my feedback into the design, which is a very new direction for them. Named after the tenacious, ubiquitous invasive plant found throughout the American Southwest, the Tamarisk pack is meant for multi-day adventures in rugged terrain.

IMG_2150

Simple, functional, and above all durable, while also being lightweight. The primary fabric, tan to blend with the environment, is a revolutionary new heavyweight, silicon-impregnated cordura. As waterproof as traditional silnylons, as abrasion resistant as 1000 denier Ballistics nylon, and with outstanding stitch retention, this new fabric promises to set a new standard for practical lightweight backpacks.

IMG_2154

The suspension is modeled after that found in the Gorilla, adapted for highly abusive environments, and the need to eliminate as many straps and buckles as possible. A folded foam pad slots behind a fabric sleeve, and is held in place by the customary wide and durable Gossamer Gear shoulder straps. A single aluminum stay inserts through the gap in the bottom, and is held in place by a pocket on the bottom of the hipbelt.

IMG_2156

The pack can be used with or without the stay, though the single stay achieves such a remarkable combination of load transfer and flexibility few will choose to leave the stay behind. Torso collapse is minimal even at 40 pounds, while maintaining the ability to climb and bust brush.

I should also mention that all of the above is a fib. I built this pack for myself and to my own specs, and Gossamer Gear has nothing to do with it beyond providing inspiration, and they have my apologies for my mischief.

IMG_2130

After returning from Utah with holes in most of our packs it was obvious that I’d need a tough pack for multiday stuff. This one is made primarily from 1000D cordura, which is tough enough and (when purchased on closeout, as this was) fairly inexpensive. The three daisy design shown on the main panel, above, is the cleanest solution I’ve yet found to having enough attachment and compression to carry just about anything. Side panels and bottom are tapered, the former to provide a better fit, the later to lift the bottom and provide clearance when downclimbing.

IMG_2132

The inside liner is 70 denier polyurethene coated, with a stripe of 1000D at the bottom. The bottom sides are the part of the pack which get the most abuse in canyons. A double layer of fabric provides a bit of additional abrasion resistance and waterproofing, and more importantly a surface for Aquaseal bonding when patching holes.

IMG_2135

The shoulder straps needed a bit of alteration. 1 inch buckles for the straps, for better abrasion resistance. The slider buckle for the sternum strap is a point of abrasion, which I’ve seen wear through the adjustment webbing.

IMG_2136

A big grab handle is always a good idea, with lots of reinforcing bartacks. The small red loops are for the lid I’ll eventually build.

IMG_2137

The velcro patch enables use of the belt without the stay.

IMG_2140

A hydration hose port centrally located above the straps is a good idea in a desert pack.

IMG_2155

The pack is 10 inches wide at the back, six inches deep at the bottom, and 39 inches to the top of the extension collar. The belt began life as a Kifaru wraptec. I wasn’t fond of the width or the 2 inch buckle (or the crap sewing), but the cut and especially foam are excellent. Belt pockets get shredded in canyons.  The side seams are triple stitched, then felled and triple stitched again.  This final exposed stitching was coated in Aquaseal.  The bottom panel was triple stitched in, and the finished seam Aquasealed on the outside.  I built it with a single stay because I’d never built one like that before.  Initial carpet testing gives me cause for much optimism that the inflated claims above will be substantiated.

As always, questions below.