After being so impressed with Ultraweave I naturally wanted to make several/a number of bags out of it. My affinity for burlier pack fabrics goes back to the very beginning, both because I know that many of my favored activities shred lighter pack fabrics, and (more relevantly) because I have an aesthetic preference for things, especially things that I build, to have the potential to last a very long time. For most of the last decade this has been quite hypothetical (that pack from 2010 looks awful in my today eyes), but in the last 3-4 years my knowledge has been such that I regularly make things that stand the test of time. Making myself a pack from a fabric that could realistically last decades is today not just an ideological activity.
A daypack is not an especially exciting thing, both because day-type activities are less aspirational, and because designing and building a daypack happens on a persnickety scale. Fit, for example, is an area where in theory a frameless little pack which will rarely carry more than 10 pounds ought to be forgiving. Many companies making such packs in one size only would certainly suggest as much. And yet I’ve found little packs to be difficult in this regard, having no frame and especially no belt and load lifters to take the focus off torso length, and strap size, width, and orientation. Torso length is relevant both to maximize space, and to concentrate the sweet spot for both fit and comfort in the same location. This pack is 20 inches exactly, an inch or a little more less than I’d make a larger pack (w/ frame, etc). This maintains total shoulder wrap, with the pack ending just at the lower edge of my lumbar. This feels most comfortable, most agile, and places the side pockets low enough for good access. The upper few inches of the side panels tilt toward the user, on both sides, providing a nice shoulder hugging fit, and maintaining a trim yet generous 7 inches of constant depth. The front panel is 9 inches wide, the back panel 10.5, with 2 inches of upsweep on the bottom panel. It is easy to make a pack like this too skinny, in either direction, too pudgy, or to overdo the various tapers and create something with less useable space.
For all the seeming contradiction of a forever fabric and a zipper, the classic clamshell is an obvious choice with a pack this small. It is cleaner through the brush than a rolltop or drawcord, and far faster to access. Mid panel always seems to work best with a zipper, and this straight run and constant radius curve, along with dual #10 nickle plated sliders, maximizes durability. Additional internal features amount to a pad sleeve against the back, a small zippered pocket (9″ by 7″), and another sleeve pocket behind the zippered pocket, handy for garbage or for isolating wet raingear from the rest of the contents. These details, along with the cord sleeves on the side pockets, were old 200ish denier nylon from a sailbag I got free off craigslist. Orange seemed a good color to halo through the main fabric, and having touseled accents to such a fancy pack seemed logical.
Side pockets in a small pack that legit fit a nalgene aren’t common. These envelope a standard nalgene, and carry a 48oz cilo well enough that only a big tumble off a log (did it) will knock them free. These are 14 inches back to front, with a 3 by 3 inch dimensioned gusset against the user side, and the remaining 11 inches fit down to 7 with a big pleat. The single pleat restricts the pocket size with a single hard object, but expands easily with softer items, ergo a nalgene doesn’t rattle around, but you can wedge a full set of raingear in.
Hopefully five years from now my current state of knowledge doesn’t prove too antiquainted.
Leave a Reply