I got out this past weekend to do something not especially fun, but necessary: making sure (on and with paper) that my Remington is still zeroed perfectly. Thankfully it was, so I got to spend most of my time blowing up rocks at 100 meters.



The rifle is now rigged out in full fighting trim.  Along with the paint job on the stock, I added side swivel studs, which I prefer.  My sling of choice is simple 1″ webbing, attached to the studs with spectra cord.  It doesn’t quick adjust, but is light, simple, and dead silent.  Other refinements include the custom ammo cuff, and lens caps to keep pine needles and snow out of the scope.

As shown, including the four rounds, the rifle weighs 8.5 pounds.  The only thing missing is some tape around the muzzle.




The ammo cuff bears elaboration.  I copied the idea from Evan Hill, and it works very well.  The backing is 500D cordura with 1/8″ foam inside.  The foam compresses when the rounds are inserted, and provides a more secure hold than elastic.  A new feature for this cuff is a larger (4mm versus 1mm) bartack in the lower 1/5 of the seam.  You can insert the round all the way to the primer, but past that point the wider shoulder of the brass can’t get past the wider bartack, providing for even greater security.  The dual elastic bands which hold the cuff on are tight enough so I can just barely get it on over the recoil pad.

The only improvement I might make long-term is a proper fiberglass stock.  In theory a stiffer, bedded stock would shoot better, though as is I have no issues.  I also like the way Weatherbys shoulder, and their aesthetics.  I don’t want to loose weight off the rifle; as is felt recoil is right where I want it.

Now all I have to do is go find some elk next month.